New York Mets are in the Lonestar State, Yall

That’s right it’s that time of year again where the Mets make their lone trip to the Lonestar State to take on the Houston Astros. Houston isn’t my neck of the woods but I plan on rolling in to catch the last two games before the Mid-Summer Classic.

Houston, while a pretty crappy town, is actually a solid baseball town, a rarity in the Republic of Texas. Astro fans are loyal folks, though they’re anti-Met fervor as cooled since making a failed appearance in the World Series. Their once vicious and profane insults have turned to good natured ribbing, even toward a fan in a home white Wagner jersey. If any readers plan on making the trip please drop me a line.

For those of you who are making a first time trip, here are some tips:

There is a great bar across the street where transplants have been known to gather after Met wins, the beers aren’t too expensive, and the feeling of having a blue and orange garbed majority has the aura of reaping the spoils of war.

You are in the Republic of Texas, they provide ample smoking areas on all decks, no nanny laws in Texas.

No one checks your signage, use this knowledge wisely and responsibly.

If you are attending the Saturday game and expect to be compensated with a trashcan, don’t hold your breath, especially if you wear Met colors. Last year, I was denied a gym bag and given the excuse that they had all been handed out, despite my arrival preceding batting practice (not like you really want anything that much marked Astros to begin with)

Stay away from the hotdogs, nine times out of ten; you get a frank that is too small on a stale bun. Rumor is Joey Chesnut threw up after two Astrodogs.

Stay away from the pizza; it’s not digestible, it’s DiGiorno. Go with Nachos, its hard to ‘eff that up. (And if you thought the concession service at Shea was bad wait till you deal with these folks.)

Beers cost more than at Shea believe it or not (last I checked) at anywhere between $7.25 and $7.75 depending on your brand selection. Lonestar Met tip: If you are from out of state, make sure and try a Shiner Bock.

Be aware that the seat rows in the third deck are misleadingly numbered, you’ll think, “Hey, it’s the upper deck, but row 13 won’t be too bad.” That is until you get there and climb more stairs than to the torch of the Statue of Liberty to find you have the second to last highest row, the views aren’t obstructed, just brace yourself. (Can people even go to the Statue of Liberty again yet?)

Yell what ever you want, most Houstonians expect you to be obnoxious, you have to counter the Beltran-aimed boos. Do be aware, Texas has a conceal and carry law, dont mock the guy with the large bulge near his shoulder too hard (remember what I said ya’ll, no nanny-laws.)

Do not eat at Whataburger, trust me!

Make sure you keep the tradition alive for postgame, Met wins; any and all people spotted in Mets gear necessitate a high five.

Be advised that anyone wearing either maroon or clothing from Texas A&M University is most certainly a complete idiot; don’t make the mistake of debating an Aggie. Ask around if you have to, but trust me.

The domed stadium is great, dress appropriately; it may shock your system after hiking in through the parking lot, in 98 degree weather in 120% humidity to enter a very comfortable 75 degrees.

Autographs don’t come easy; in all the games I’ve attended, the closest I’ve gotten to a Met was Rick Down who signed a whopping two autographs before running into the dugout.

There you have it, a little survival guide for any Met fan planning on attending this four game series with the Astros. If you will be in attendance, make sure to shoot me an email! Let’s go Mets.

Welcome to Texas, Yall!

Posted under Uncategorized

This post was written by Dan in Texas on July 5, 2007

11 Comments so far

1. MetsGrrl July 5, 2007 2:54 pm

Re: the statue of liberty – you can go to the island and the museum, but tou can only go up as far as the feet. And you are searched as though you were about to get on Air Force One, worse than any airport.

We hope to get down some day.

2. Dan in Texas July 5, 2007 3:10 pm

I remember going there as a kid. It’s a shame we can’t enjoy it. Do they search more thoroughly than they do at Shea? I felt the Shea security guy could have at least bought me a drink first.

Mets Astros is a blast, its a good road game to hit.

3. dave July 5, 2007 3:30 pm

Thanks for the tip on the Whataburger. If I’m ever in Houston I’ll remember that one.

Is it just me or does anyone else think of Mike Scott whenever you hear Houston Astros? Gives me chills.

4. Dan in Texas July 5, 2007 4:05 pm

Actually the first thing that comes to mind is those godawful orange, red and yellow uniforms and the hat with the H in the middle of a star.

I never really heard much made of Scott scuffing the ball from the national media. I always thought of him as a solid pitcher that the Mets gave up on too quickly; it was years latter that I heard what a cheater he was. I remember in the late 80’s there was a rash of umps cracking down on pitchers.

I guess we are back to not caring after the Kenny Rogers’ black hand game.

I swear Whataburger did something to our food; don’t eat there wearing Mets stuff.

5. G-Fafif July 6, 2007 12:50 am

Have fun this weekend, amigo. But don’t smoke too much in advance. Willie may call on you to play left.

6. Luis July 6, 2007 10:21 am

As a native Texan and Mets fan(1969, I was in 6th grade in Venezuela!!)I can say that some places make GREAT Whataburgers while others are terrible- If you are from out of state get the double meat cheese wi Jalapenos- hard to mess that up-Shiner Bock(dark), Lone Star(you may like it), For Texas BBQ, ask around-I lived in the Houston area for 14 years, but that was 10 years ago-LETS GO METS!!

7. Dan in Texas July 6, 2007 12:15 pm

Hey Luis, As a matter of fact I happened to grab a sixer of Lonestar two weeks ago when I was in Austin. In college Lonestar used to be 7.42 for an 18 pack.

I have never been big on Whataburger but I suggest avoiding ordering from there while wearing a Mets hat/jersey if you know what I mean.

8. Mets Guy in Michigan July 6, 2007 4:44 pm

I was in Houston for a weekend in December 2004, and it seemed like a nice place — though everyone said the summer heat was unbearable! I was able to walk down to the Juice Box a couple times, getting in the gift shop minutes before it closed and bought an All- Star jersey on clearance!

Enjoy the series, my friend!

9. Luis July 7, 2007 7:26 am

We went last night- drove 3 hours to Houston from Austin to WANDY F@@#$@* Rodriguez 4 HIT the MEts? The radar gun at Minute Maid is a bit fast I think- they had Pelfry at 97 some and then Mota at 96!!! I dont think thats right- Wandy threw well, but the Mets looked lethargic- hell even in BP they didnt hit the ball very well-if you have your tickets, go into The BIg Bamboo- a bar/restaurant that is part of teh park-you wont get into the actual park any earlier than those outside, but it is inside, out of the rain/heat, will sell you a beer,and the line to get in the park from there(which you can do) is very short.

10. Ray July 7, 2007 8:49 am

For Dave, who asked whether the ‘Stros still remind anyone else of Mike Scott?

Damn right they do.

That was my wrapup from just after the first game. The Elron Field picture in there is still the best.

11. Ceetar July 7, 2007 9:08 am

Actually, I hear they’re thinking about possibly maybe opening up the crown of the statue to visitors again.