Cole Hamels is Still a Dick

Here we go again:

The on-field behavior of the Mets, particularly Jose Reyes, again has been called into question by a an opposing player, this time Cole Hamels, the MVP of the Phillies’ World Series championship.

Kettle, you have a call from the pot holding on the black phone…

In an interview on WFAN Thursday morning, Coles, in an indirect manner, said Reyes show-boats, but also said the Phillies considered the Mets “chokers.” Hamels gave the interview while promoting the Phillies’ World Series DVD.

Hamels explained, saying “I’m hoping I don’t hurt too many people right here with this … When Jose Reyes hits home runs, he points his finger up like he won the game. And he might have hit in only in the first inning or the third inning. Well, when Shane did it, he did the same, exact thing. So we were ‘Hey Shane, this doesn’t win the game. We still have a lot of game to play.’ Ya know, why are you trying to be like Jose Reyes? And so that was kind of where it came from was … ya know … even though you hit the big home run, you don’t need to pimp it. You just need to run around the bases and just kinda get the game started.”

Said the man with an 0-2 6.54 in 2008 against the “Chokers” of the NL East.

Look, I don’t want to get into to defending Jose Reyes or his homerun trot, but has Cole Hamels ever watched anything Ryan Howard or Jimmy Rollins do at any point during a baseball game? Rollins is the biggest showboat in the game, bar none. How many times can you remember off the top of your head have you seen Rollins point up with two hands while coming into a base or the plate?

Hamels did not back away from the comments later, reiterating: “For the past two years they’ve been choke artists.”

Hamels continued, “I mean as long as they aren’t facing me, then, they’re freaking awsome and not because I’m an absolutely mediocre pitcher who is completely overrated. Er, um…Look over there!”

When reached for a response, Lonestar Mets rolled his eyes, made a wanking motion and reiterated “Cole Hamels has been an overrated douchebag in need of a severe beating his entire stupid life.”

I’m so sick of the Phillies and their preseason posturing. I just hope the Mets don’t say or do anything until May 6 (the first Mets-Phils game of the season) and whoever takes the hill drills the leadoff batter in the head with a fastball.

I don’t condone violence unless it involves Shane Victorino getting punched in the mouth. Repeatedly.

UPDATE: The Strawdawg has the right idea. Drill em.

Posted under Angry Rant

17 Comments so far

1. Philly Bill December 12, 2008 1:29 pm

So, you’re pissed at the dude for being right? Talk about sore losers. The Mets did, in fact, choke the last two years. Big Time. No matter how you slice it.

2. Dan in Texas December 12, 2008 1:42 pm

No Philly Bill, If you actually read the post, I specifically said I wasn’t defending anyone. I was referring to the hypocracy of a guy who crapped himself against the Mets last year talking noise and the same loser critizing Reyes for something his teammates do 10 fold.

Stay classy Philly!

3. TJ December 12, 2008 1:57 pm

Dan, Did you even hear the interview? They put the words in the kids mouth for christ sake. But if it makes you feel better to deflect to something irrelevant, knock yourself out.

4. Dan in Texas December 12, 2008 1:59 pm

Again TJ, I made the comment on the second line:
    “I don’t get to listen to WFAN much, just Mets games on the radio usually, but it seems to me they go out of their way to have people Mets fans hate on their airwaves. Just sayin…”

What am I deflecting?

5. TJ December 12, 2008 2:11 pm

Firs, I’d say Hamels 0-2 record against is irrelevant to the point that the Mets are choke artists.

Plus, the question was like “So the Mets are pretty much choke artists, right?”

The other questions was “So Cole, would you say you hate Jose Reyes? Would that be fair?”

The douchebags were the guys giving the interview.

6. Dan in Texas December 12, 2008 2:18 pm

TJ, I never said the Mets didnt choke, have a look through my archives and I’m pretty sure you’ll find me agreeing with that wholeheartedly.

I would agree with you also that the interviewers are douchebags.

What I am certain you are ignoring is the double standard regarding Jose Reyes and, most importantly, as the title of my post pointed out, Cole Hamels is still a dick.

7. TJ December 12, 2008 2:34 pm

Nope, I know exactly what Howard and Rollins do. In my book, it’s a not nearly as ridiculous as trotting around the bases with your hand up pointing up. If that’s where we disagree, fine.

My point is, why is he a dick? He goes to the studio, these guys load every question, he says two things that are demonstrably true, and you lose it. I live in Philly, I see people get hustled by sports radio talking heads all the time. I just thought New Yorkers were sharper than this.

8. Dan in Texas December 12, 2008 2:49 pm

I suppose we do have to disagree about that Reyes/Rollins-Howard point.

I wouldn’t say I lost it, though you just conceeded that only one of those things is demonstratably true, I just called him a dick. Sorry you are so upset I posted it on it, it’s the offseason and I write a baseball website. A Philly player shot his mouth off on the radio regarding my team. What should I write about?

If you are reading a website called Lonestarmets, I would suggest that:

A. You shouldn’t critize anyone’s sharpness in relation to being a New Yorker since, again the website is called Lonestarmets with a giant Texas flag in Mets colors at the top. That usually tips off most readers that I may not be a resident of the state or city of New York, but I guess shouldnt assume Philly residents would catch that.

B. You shouldn’t expect content sympathetic to a Philly player shooting his mouth off because he was “hustled” by the evil sports media. If you would rather I titled this post, “Cole Hamels is still a Weak Minded Idiot” well then fair point, sir.

For bonus points, can you guess what state I’m from?

9. TJ December 12, 2008 3:39 pm

Yikes, I’m going to pass on the excessive ad hominem stuff. For clarity’s sake I assumed, you were a transplanted New Yorker, and I was referring to all New Yorkers being “sharper”.

A few points,

1. I conceded that Howard and Rollins also grandstand. I did not concede that Reyes doesn’t. Therefore I stand by my belief that both of Cole’s statements were demonstrably true.

2. “What should I write about?” I’d prefer you write about something more interesting. I find this whole story contrived.

3. “shot his mouth off” I’m just having trouble imagining how upset you could be at a guy baited that much?

4. In regards to you “losing it”. You did not “just call him a dick”. I took “Cole Hamels has been an overrated douchebag in need of a severe beating his entire stupid life” as losing it. I’ll also pass on debating semantics, though.

5. I did not call sports media “evil”.

6. I’m not “so upset”. I haven’t called anyone a douchebag or a dickhead. I felt like taking the time to point out how ridiculous I found your post to be.

7. In regards to your suggestions, I’d suggest you be less antagonistic. While debating, it can come off as floundering. And if you must be antagonistic, try adding some humor.

10. Dan in Texas December 12, 2008 4:03 pm

as well as hypocritical

Thanks for not anwsering the question. How about I write “Cole Hamels is Perfect, Mets are Not” Would that be interesting?

Kind of like you are right now. It was a throwaway post on a Thursday afternoon, man.

Again, I was kidding, it was a throwaway post regarding a stupid article I found on MLB.com written from a diehard Mets fan’s standpoint and not actually advocating violence, sorry you couldn’t see the difference. I’ll start giving my readers less leeway for interpretation now that I know Philly fans are reading. I can’t beleive I have to explain this.

5. I did not call sports media “evil”.

Sorry, in comment 5 you said “The douchebags were the guys giving the interview.”

Yes you did, comment 5. “The douchebags were the guys giving the interview.”

I’ll add some humor though I doubt you would notice. Thanks for the tip though, you guys from Philly are truly the master debaters (happy?)

Thanks for commenting though, TJ. You have full status on this site to comeback and gloat, concede, gripe or whatever from now on. I will look forward to you defending Brett Myers next time he beats his wife. Have fun with Raul Ibanez.

11. TJ December 12, 2008 4:30 pm

I was happy when you called it “a throwaway post”. I couldn’t agree more.

12. Dan in Texas December 12, 2008 4:48 pm

Thank you Buzz Bissinger -er I mean TJ

13. Rocky December 12, 2008 7:51 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! The Mets suck camel dick. Thank you, Cole Hamels.

14. GhostOfDonHahn December 12, 2008 8:45 pm

I heard the interview and Hamels has a voice like a woman. The Phils may be in the Mets heads at this point but the Mets are cretainly in the heads of Phils fans. This is because for the last two years the Phillies didn’t beat the Mets, the Mets beat themselves. And that’s what pisses them off, the victory coems with an asterisk.

15. Philly Bill December 12, 2008 9:45 pm

Dude spent all day defending a “throwaway post”. Great stuff. So, at the end of the day, the facts still remain that the Mutts choked the last 2 years, Jose Reyes is a pompous show off, and Cole Hamels is World Series MVP for the World Champion Philadelphia Phillies. How’s things in Texas? Tell T.O. we said “Yo!”.

16. Dan in Texas December 12, 2008 10:34 pm

Agree with you Don, several points TJ and Philly Bill can’t seem to comprehend.

Philly Bill, yep “dude” spent all day running his website. Glad you can figure out where I guy who writes under the name Dan in Texas and runs a site called lonestarmets lives. You are the smartest philly fan alive.

At the end of the day, you don’t know how a website works, this post upped my traffic and you still live in Philly. You tell me who came out on top. (though I actually had to explain things to two Philly fans which is s futile endeavor to begin with so maybe it’s a push)

How is your statement about Reyes a fact, BTW?

Seriously though PB, I would agree that the Mets choked bigtime in 07 but last year, they weren’t front runners all year; you guys were. The fact that it came down to the last game of the season made it seem like a collapse but the Mets probably should have fell out of contention before then.

Texas is great, but FYI I am not a Cowboys fan, matter of fact I HATE the Cowboys as much as I hate your Phillies.

Mets-Phils is turning into a fun rivalry. Comeback and comment anytime! Make sure you don’t hide when your Phils get swept at Citi Field in May.

17. fltnsplr April 11, 2009 12:37 pm

It takes more games than Opening Day to define a season, but Hamels got shellacked by the Rockies the other day, no mistake. Meanwhile, people in the Phillies’ organization are practically crapping their pants defending their star pitcher’s lousy performance.

Yes, the curveball is ineffective at an altitude of 5000 feet, no matter who’s pitching. Yes, it takes several months for a pitcher’s velocity to climb into the 90s (at least in this case, anyway). No, he didn’t throw that many innings in spring training. Yes, he’s behind schedule because he got an anti-inflammatory shot in March.

The question is why, and the reason is obvious: he pitched way too many innings last year, and though you can’t fault his 2008 postseason in any way, he might have sacrificed his career for a few moments of glory.

It’s possible that he will recover this season, but even if that happens it will be too late to help the Phillies repeat their championship effort. And that’s not the only problem they’ll face along the way. Remember, gentlemen, it’s supposed to be a team sport.